Saturday, May 14, 2016

One Decision Changed My Life Forever

Saturday, May 14, 2016
 photo lifeslittlelessons_zps31e0afdd.png

There is a quote by Thomas S Monson that I think of often. He said, "Decisions determine destiny." I think about that a lot... usually because I find it hard to make decisions. Well, the big ones anyway... and some of the small ones, let's be real.  I don't care to count how many times I have had this conversation: Oh, I don't care where we go... just not there or there or.... So yeah, making decisions and taking ownership of them is something I definitely need to work on. But recently, I was thinking about how I have already seen it in my life. What decisions did I make that got me to where I am now? What would my life be like if I had not made those decisions?

Source: Simple As That



 One of the biggest decisions I feel we can make in this life is deciding who to choose as a friend. In high school, a whole bunch of kids are thrown together and you tend to make friends with those who you are stuck with.  There doesn't always seem to be much choice in the matter. I'll admit it... I did not make the best friend choices in high school. Not that my friends were particularly "bad" or anything... but they weren't lasting friendships. Plus some of them didn't share my values. This can be okay, and work sometimes, obviously not everyone is going to share your views and beliefs on everything,  but it does put a bit of a strain on the relationship if it's a big enough chasm. If I would have made different choices in high school, I think I would be a different person. Perhaps more sheltered. Perhaps more trusting... but who knows? I could have ended up with friends who pressured me into doing things I didn't want to do, and luckily, that didn't happen. 

I do know one thing for sure. If I had not chosen to follow the little voice in my head, the little whisper to my heart that told me to pick up the phone and talk to John after months of not speaking, and John had not chosen to go on a date with me... I would be a completely different person. And I don't know that the current me would like that alternate version of who I would have become. That single decision changed my life for the better. It changed my eternal destiny. 

Not every choice you make will be a good one, but "decisions determine destiny" so be cautious... and whatever you do, please listen to the still small voice of the Holy ghost. I can guarantee you that those are the choices that will have the greatest reward in determining your destiny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Still My Superman © 2014