Tuesday, July 22, 2014

How to Be Happy

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Let's face it, we all have our grumpy days... or weeks... sometimes even months. But, I have some great news for you... We don't have to!  That's right, we don't have to be unhappy. There is nobody to blame for our own unhappiness but ourselves. Do you know why? 

Happiness is a choice. 

Happiness is a choice we must make each and everyday. 
 photo lifeslittlelessons_zps31e0afdd.png


I just made being happy sound much less glamours, didn't I? But, why? Happiness is just as good, if not better when its not this elusive thing that only happens when the circumstances around you call for it. Owning your own happiness? Now, that is inspiring. That's where I want to be. 

If you are anything like me, then, you may know that this is easier said than done. Life gets in the way, as it so often does. I know that I've been told this before, believed this before and yet I still let myself get caught up in the whiny, irritable, annoyed rut. I'm not consciously choosing to be irritable and whiny, but I'm not consciously choosing any emotion. I am letting my emotions control me. 

Isn't it about time that we turn that around? Isn't it time that we take control of our emotions rather than having them control us? I think so! 

But how? How do you choose to be happy? 

Well, really, you just tell yourself that you are going to be happy and you do not let anything get in your way. You don't let stress affect you, you let things go, you choose to focus on the positive rather than the negative. Easy, right? Yeah, not so much... Here are somethings that can help you along your journey while you are choosing happiness. 

Believe It's Possible

If you don't believe that it is possible to control your emotions, then nothing is ever going to change. You are going to stay a slave to your emotions. Don't let them rule you! Who knows how much trouble that can save you when you don't let your emotions rule your life. If you need some convincing, read Max Lucado's Great Day, Every Day
 photo maxlucado_zpsa66d9b6e.jpg
(source)

Remember, You Don't Have to Do Anything 

Do you remember my post, The 3 Words I'm Removing From My Vocabulary? One of those was the phrase "have to." You don't have to do anything. You are choosing to do something or choosing to accept the consequences. If you can't deal with the consequences, then that is your choice. Just knowing this, and reminding myself of this takes a load of pressure off of me. It also just makes me feel better about my life. I feel more in control. I am choosing to go to work, to do the laundry, etc. etc. It also makes you realize why you do certain things, which somehow makes them less awful. Even though we know in the back of our minds that we do laundry not because the hamper is full, but so that we have clean clothes to wear, it is still nice to consciously recognize it. 

In the Morning, Convince Yourself that Today Will Be Awesome

I just love this How I Met Your Mother Quote (source): 

 photo 6c0faf36-d3d6-4a6e-845e-bb3be99573af_zps7d70d5ba.jpg This sums up how we should be in the mornings. We are tired, we may not really want to do anything but crawl back into bed. But, while we are sluggishly getting ready for our day we can be positive. Back when we were dating, John would always text me in the morning and say "Are you ready for an awesome day?" and I was always lifted by that positivity, and I know he was too. And sometimes, that's all it takes. So, in the morning, ask yourself or someone else: Are you ready for an awesome day? Or simply say to yourself, today is going to be a great day! 

Be Grateful 

I love things like #100HappyDays because it reminds me to be grateful each and everyday. To find joy in the small pleasures in life. If something like the #100HappyDays challenge works for you, go for it. If not, just take a moment everyday or at least once a week to count your blessings. If you feel like you don't have many blessings to count, read or watch this talk by Dieter F. Uchtdorf. Really just read it anyway, its beautiful. I mean, look at this stellar quote (source) 
 photo attitudeofgratitude_zps034092ea.jpg
Set Reminders 

Have you seen this thing going around where people are putting hearts around their houses to remind themselves to treat their children with love and respect? Why not do that in your journey for everyday happiness not defined by circumstances? Put up anything that will help you remember to CHOOSE happiness, and preferably makes you smile. Maybe you need smiley faces all over your house. Go for it. 

Love and Laughter is Always the Best Medicine 

I can't stay mad at John. It's almost physically impossible. Not because he's always right, but because when I'm mad at him, he somehow makes me laugh and suddenly, I'm not as mad. Now, problems still need solving of course, but being able to control my anger and not let it cloud my judgement is a plus. Sometimes you just need a laugh, and sometimes you just need a hug. Laughs and love can save any cloudy day. 

Stop Stressing

A little stress is good, true, but too much and most of us will turn into snappy irritable monsters! Don't let little things stress you out. Be a duck, and let it roll off your back. Take a moment to breathe. We are human, we make mistakes, dishes get piled up in the sink, laundry hampers get full and left unfolded. It's OKAY. Don't put so much pressure on yourself to be perfect. Trust me, that will make you 50% happier instantly! 

Ironically enough, this post should have gone up yesterday but, I lost everything in the middle of my blog post but, instead of letting it stress me out, I decided to enjoy my evening with my hubby instead

Exercise, Sleep, Eating Right

This is said over and over again but that's because it works. I know you all know this so, I'm just going to leave this one with this:  
 photo endorphins_zps4c9b31cb.jpg

(source)

Don't let anything rain on your parade. Let's remember to choose happiness everyday! 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Still My Superman © 2014