Friday, January 24, 2014

The 3 Words I'm Removing From My Vocabulary

Friday, January 24, 2014

As you may know, I've been 'reading' a lot of books recently. One of my most recent reads was this great book called The Now Habit by Neil Fiore. It's all about how to stop procrastinating.It was a very enlightening book but there is one thing that he wrote that I just can't get out of my mind... I can't remember the exact phrasing but the gist of it was...

This is a pretty obvious concept. But when I heard it, it was so completely freeing. A weight just lifts off you when  you realize that everything you do, you choose to do.
choose to do the dishes because I don't want to deal with the stink.
choose to do my homework because I want to keep my 4.0, and I want to learn.
When I don't feel like doing something, I remind myself that I am choosing to do it, because either I don't want to choose the consequences or because I'm choosing the positives. 
For that reason, I am taking the word "have to" out of my vocabulary. 

This morning, I was watching this great Mormon Message called "Choose This Day" and there was something in there that especially struck me. Henry B. Erying said, "there's a danger in the word someday". And that is so true... I don't want to say that well, someday this will happen. Either that someday is today, or its next week, or next month. But if I just say someday, then most likely its just not going to happen. 
That is why "someday"  will not make it in to my acceptable terms list.

The final word is one I've been thinking about for awhile. Its try. That may seem like an odd one but, I've just found that try is such an empty word.  When I (and most people I know) say the word try, it really means that they'll do something if they feel like it. That may not have been my original intention, but if I've said I'll try to do something, I usually wimp out at it because their was no real commitment made. I know that when I say the word try its usually because I am afraid of failing. But you know what? Its okay to fail.
I will be replacing the word "try" with will, going to, etc. 

What words would you like to see gone from your vocabulary?

You May Also Like:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Still My Superman © 2014