Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The People Pleasing Monster

Wednesday, June 26, 2013


This is going to sound incredibly simplistic but, do what is right for you/your relationship. 
Why am I saying this? Well, I've recently had some married/divorced friends tell me 'You shouldn't feel that way yet' or 'Your doing that already?.' I know that they are half kidding/mean well but, its really been eating away at me. I know I'm being sensitive but, this is my marriage, not yours. 

Its really gotten me thinking... 
John and I need to do the things that are right for us, when they are right for us. We can listen to other people's advice and take it into consideration but ultimately, it is what we feel is best (after careful consideration and prayer, of course).

And of course, most of us know that. But, its the actual doing it part that's hard (at least for me, not so much for my husband). I've spent my whole life doing what other people told me was the right thing [Note: That did keep me out of trouble, and I am incredibly grateful that I listened to my parents guidance growing up] that I don't have a lot of experience in completely defying what other people advise me to do because I feel something else is right. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense to anybody but myself.

I guess what it ultimately comes down to is my intense desire to please people. I'm a people please-er and honestly, I need to get over that. Not that there is anything wrong with being a people please-er or wanting to please but, for me, it can sometimes inhibit the things that I really want to do or that I know is right. Ultimately for me, I need to please God. That should be my main goal. And I can't let my people pleasing tendencies get in the way of that. I've got to stick to my guns, so to speak, and not feel so bad when I do. 
So, that's my goal. Its going to take a little while but that's okay. I have to take it day by day.
I have a lot of self-improvement to do.
Thats life. 
We should always be striving to be better, to be the best version of ourselves that we can be. 

If your still with me, thanks for reading, and I hope you pulled a little advice from this. 
From those of you skimming, my advice is: 
Do what is right for you and your relationship.
Don't let your people pleasing ways get in the way of God's will for you.
Strive to be better each day. 


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Still My Superman © 2014